On June 6-9, 2016, as part of the Sustainable Brands conference in San Diego, YK Center conducted the 2nd Global GameChangers™ Lab as an “undercover think-tank” to deepen the conversation on this profound question.
The lab site was created as a TV studio, hosting a distinguished group of world-renowned thought leaders and SME’s, and broadcasting live to people around the world. Among these thought leaders were Barbara Marx Hubbard, David Korten, Garry Jacobs, John Fullerton and Mark McElroy (see the full list on the right).
These are the main takeaways from 2nd Global GameChangers™ Lab, San Diego, June 6-9, 2016:
- When a culture loses its story, it loses its direction.
- Humanity had a “Story of Progress” from the Renaissance onward – we believed that more technology, more knowledge and more freedom would lead to a better world.
- That story was destroyed by the two World Wars, the atomic bomb and the beginning of the environmental collapse.
- We propose a New Story: Our crisis is the birth of a co-evolving co-creating Humanity!
- We are looking for the answer to our founding question: “How are we going to get from where we are today, to where we need to be… All 7.3 billion of us?”
- The main challenges:- We are using 1.6 planets. How many should we use?- We are just one species and we are the custodians of all Life on this planet – maybe we should just use half a planet?- Businesses & organizations are flying blind – the dashboards & reporting systems they use are hiding the truth from them!- The truth: Most of mainstream commerce in the world is unsustainable and most of the unsustainable environmental impacts are attributable to commerce.- We need a new way to measure the financial, social, environmental & human impacts of every investment- We need a 4D global dashboard to to track & measure 4D ROI of impact investments
- We are the first generation to know that the global transformation we are going through is not a failure – it is the birth of a new species!
- We need about $3.9T to meet the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (UPDATE: based on information from the UN Global Compact Summit, NYC, June 22-23, 2016 – this number is now $5-7T per year)
- The global insurance companies and pension funds manage a portfolio of roughly $80T, which is our money!
- We are calling for a planetary campaign to mobilize the people whose pension money it is to demand it!